We are experiencing a unique time. We all have a great need to connect and support each other, even when physical connection is necessarily limited right now. I offer you what I am practicing myself, and sharing with others in my work.
The pandemic is a global issue that is affecting EVERYONE on the planet right now; and we are all in shock. Whether we are aware of it or not, we are in shock. Whenever we experience something that we don’t know how to fully wrap our minds around, our brain/body system goes into a state of shock of self-protection until we can fully grasp what is happening or has happened to us.
Fear is contagious; so is PEACE. Everything we do right now to support ourselves in maintaining our own calm is supporting humanity. Taking care of ourselves is the best way to help everyone.
How has the pandemic affected you so far? Have you noticed any of these:
- Fewer distractions
- Left to our own thoughts
- More intense relationship time
- Less positive validation from others
- Easy to forget our impact
- Depletion of positive activities
- Decreased human touch / Hugs
- Touching on old issues/trauma
What positive outcome can you see coming from this time?
- Re-evaluate priorities – What is really important to you?
- Let go of bad habits
- Reinforce positive changes
- Commit to being good to yourself
Remember your basic self-care right now:
- Maintain healthy hygiene
- Maintain good nutrition
- Do those little things that help you feel extra good about yourself
- Keep moving! Go for walks as available
- Get outside, get sun
- Take advantage of YouTube: Yoga, exercise videos, variety of movement
- Laughter and play are essential!
- Connect with others via telephone, FaceTime, Skype, etc
- Be productive – Get those home projects done!
And, be extra aware of what is happening on the INSIDE of you during this time. How you are feeling and coping with our current reality will likely change every day!
- Have compassion for yourself right now.
- None—NONE–of us know what we’re doing!
- Write down your thoughts and feelings about what is happening and how it is affecting you
- How are you different because of this? How might you be different?
- Look for positive possibilities within the upheaval
- Embrace the moment / BE HERE NOW more than ever
- Listen to your inner voice and follow that inner prompting
Here is a simple guide to be aware of your inner process:
- Know Yourself
- STOP. STOP!
- Proceed from your calm state
Know Yourself: In order to manage your own emotion, you must first be aware of what emotions are arising in you. Pay attention to yourself, your feelings, your thoughts, your body tension. How does feeling stressed or affected by the pandemic show up for you? Other questions to help you be aware of yourself include:
- How are you dealing with what is happening? Serious? Flippant? Afraid? Superhero? Numb?
- What in your life has changed already because of this?
- What might possibly change in the near or distant future?
- What do you need during this time to care for yourself?
- Be aware—you might not know the answers to any of these yet!
- Have alone time if you’re at home with others — Be with YOU!
Stop. STOP. STOP! : Regaining clarity to your body means moving from a state of dysregulation (agitation) to regulation (calm). Your mind-body system will follow your focus. Step away from the thoughts.
- Go for a walk and pay attention to the nature that you see.
- Notice that birds are still singing, clouds are still blowing by, grass is still growing green, flowers are emerging
- Get up and clean something – you know, THAT closet… Be productive!
- Quiet mind, quiet body / Quiet body, quiet mind
Proceed from Your Calm State: When your mind-body system is calm, your thinking is clear, “Proceeding” can mean:
- Take an action – Reach out, rest, write your thoughts, be productive,
- Let go of believing that there is something you can control
- Be there for someone else – Get out of yourself
- Did I mention, “Let go”?
- Flow with the current reality
Your best support of yourself, your loved ones, your community, your global family right now is cooperating with the public safety measures and taking the best care of yourself that you can, with love, compassion, and supporting your own peace daily.
With much love,
Resources from video: